I have gotten a lot of questions about where I am going, so I wanted to find a simple way to illustrate my travel plans. A simple WordPress plugin to show a map with my destinations connected by lines.
Turns out that I couldn’t find anything that matched my requirements, so I decided to build something myself. I made it a proper plugin instead of a custom hack to make it easier for other travel bloggers to use. I call the finished plugin Trevelmap.
Benefits of Travelmap:
- You do not have to register anywhere to use it.
- Automatic geocoding – you fill in city and country and Travelmap figures out the position (with a little help from Google maps). Provide your own coordinates to override the automatic geocoding.
- Easy to use. Just paste the shortcodes where you want your map. Works in posts, pages and template files. The map will scale according to available space, but you can provide a custom height if you want to.
- Your markers are connected by lines to show the path you have traveled.
- Travelmap is written using best practices for compatibility and security.